Sunday, September 03, 2006

Podcasting

I pretty much had the RSS feed thing under control before last week's "things" which gave me a chance to look into podcasting a little more. We had a seminar a couple of months ago and had made a digital voice recording - but it never crossed our minds it could be podcast!

After my experiment the other day which was straight forward, easy, and worked first time, I thought I'd give it a go. I downloaded the Audacity and Lame MP3 encoder, spent a while chopping our recordings up, cutting out "group work time", and resizing the files to 64kbps (as recommended here) ... and tackled uploading a bunch of huge files to Odeo. It took a bit longer than I expected, as the files kept getting stuck ... even though they were under the 25MB recommended. Eventually, I managed to get them all up ... and then hit problem number two....

... the player I had successfully embedded in the test one I did in this blog (and Helene uses in the Learning 2.0 posts) refused to show up in the webpage I was adding them all to. As I submitted files, a little cleanup action would happen that stripped the tags. Oh well, gave up trying to sort that out in the end and just popped in an icon and link to the page in odeo instead.

In anycase, they're all up now and have been introduced to the EBLIP community. So, although that little exercise was a pain in the bum, I did learn things ... and have another podcasting activity planned for our toolkit, inspired by Helene's use of introductory podcast's here in the Learning 2.0 program. More on that later...

2 Comments:

At 05 September, 2006 06:28, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Lisa,

In embedding the odeo player code, I found it worked better in Blogger when i used the Edit HTML option/tab. When I used the regular WYSIWYG edit window, it stripped code on me too! Hope this helps.

 
At 05 September, 2006 09:57, Blogger Lisa said...

Thanks Helene - but in Blogger it was fine (using the code, as you said)... it was through the content management system through which I publish the uni web pages that it all fell to pieces. A problem for another day :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home