Wednesday, August 16, 2006

following up...

I've made *some* progress clarifying my thoughts blurted down in my recent post "thoughts to follow up on...". Actually, it was more like identifying quotes to support what I was thinking more so than coming up with anything more myself. Still, I feel better. Here is a msg I sent to our project group in response to this week's discussion question beginning "What is this Library 2.0..."

>>
I've made a start on the Walt Crawford article suggested by Melanie and Ingrid. Very interesting reading so far - I particularly liked the list of "sixtytwo views and seven definitions" (p.4) ... hmmm - obviously, it's impossible to define, really.

Highlights were
* L2 is not about technology [followed by]
* L2 is all about technology
* L2 doesn't (or shouldn't) allow for a concise definition

and best of all, though less influential :-) ...
* "Library 2.0" is "L2" when you're in the In Crowd [or I guess, just lazy and looking at saving keystrokes!]

With such a broad spectrum of perspectives/defintions contributing to the Library 2.0 "discussion", Michael Stephens' view that L2 discussions "must take plane in YOUR library" (p.9) seems all the more meaningful. The disparity leaves room for us to define what it means for us, our library and our clients.

Of the definitions (p.5), the ones I like most - or want to believe is what it's all about - are :

"Library 2.0 means making your library's space (virtual and physical) more interactive, collaborative, and driven by community needs", Michael Casey.
- It best represents what I was coming to realise in the Learning 2.0 "Supermodel 2.0" blog entry ... but hadn't yet ironed out what I knew/thought. Hopefully, I'll feel more comfortable after making it through the remaining 3/4 of the article.

and also

"L2 is...a service philosophy built upon three things; a willingness to change and try new things; a willingess to cosntatnly re-evaluate our service offerings and finally, a willingess to look outside our own world for solutions, be they technology-driven or not (this is where Web 2.0 fits in).", Michael Casey.
- This definition describes L2 in a light indicating a synergy with EBLIP.

I shall continue reading......

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home